Have you seen the viral YouTube video about Gideon? He's a rescued Pit Bull who was left abandoned by his owners.
The video definitely melts your heart at how dogs rebound from bad situations. You should never give up on an abused dog. They aren't all susceptible to rehabilitation, but you would be surprised as to what a dog will overcome.
Read More about Gideon, his story and his new friends.
Avoid having any of the following plants near your pets.
Grayanotoxin plants include rhododendrons, azaleas, laurels and Japanese pieris. These plants can cause vomiting, seizures and cardiac arrest.
Sago Palms are common outdoor ornamental plants in warm climates and indoor plants in cool climates. Once ingested, pets may suffer liver failure, seizures and death. The entire plant is toxic; the seeds are the most toxic part of the plant. Sago palms have a mortality rate of about 30%.
Cardiac Glycoside plants include oleander, foxglove and lily of the valley. Once ingested, the glycosides in the plant can slow down heartbeat and even stop it. Generally, these plants are outdoor plants, but lily of the valley is commonly used in bouquets.
Japanese Yews stay green year-round, which is why they’re commonly used as landscaping plants. Yews contain toxins that can cause irregular heartbeat or stop the heart. All parts of the plant are toxic except for the ripe berry. Death can occur within hours of ingesting the plant.
Castor Bean contains ricin which can be very toxic to pets. Ricin can cause multiple organ failure; there is about a 9% mortality rate once ingested. Ricin is found throughout the plant, but it is most concentrated in the seeds. If the seed is ingested, the dog may not die or experience ill-effects as long as the seed coating isn’t damaged.
Autumn Crocus contains chemo-like compounds that attack rapidly dividing cells. If ingested, pets may experience vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and even death. Autumn crocus looks similar to the spring crocus, but the spring crocus is not toxic.
Hops are used in brewing beer. If ingested by pets, the body temperature can skyrocket and within hours, dogs may become agitated and start painting. The body temperature can rise enough to cause death.
Lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Cats will vomit within hours of ingestion and may stop producing urine within 72 hours. Cats who receive treatment early typically have good prognosis.
It doesn't take much to help an animal in need. You can donate to the ASPCA or purchase merchandise from the online store.
What's neat about making a donation is that you can either make a one time sum or you can make small, monthly donations.
Sometimes you can't adopt a new pet or foster one until the animal finds a home, but you can donate. Donating to local animals shelters is ideal, but if you can spare any money to help the ASPCA, you will truly be helping thousands of animals.
The ASPCA fights animal cruelty, animal regulations, puppy mills, and pet health and safety concerns.